Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day Four: Lucerne

- Elise

Being just next to the hotel restaraunt, we didn't really have to worry about sleeping through breakfast today. We rose, ate, and dressed in our winter woolies to go up to Mount Pilatus. Staying in the Kriens region of Lucerne, it wasn't a very long walk to catch the gondola for a 30 minute ride up the mountain.

As we got higher and higher the snow got thicker and thicker. It is really the first real snow we've seen, having not been dirtily pushed to the side of a road or only half covering a paddock. We stepped into our surroundings and the immaturity was on. In went our sledge ride coupons and off we went!

I don't think I have laughed so much since I've been on the trip. Tobogganing down a Swiss mountain is just one thing I can tick off my to-do list. The snow was cold and soft to touch, yet not so much to fall into. We'd barely been there 5 minutes and Justine slipped on the ice (running away from my impending snowball). She's covered in bruises from the day, it's absolutely hilarious. We slipped, we skidded and we nearly took a lot of people out, but it was an amazing experience. Definitely one of my highlights of the trip so far.



Back down the mountain we went, catching a bus to Lucerne to have a cheese fondue lunch. It was delicious, and we even got rosti. Add a hot chocolate to that and the snow melting into my clothes was almost forgotten.

Next was off to the Lion Monument, one of the most beautiful and poignant monuments I've ever seen. It commemorates the 810 Swiss Guards that were slain by French Revolutionists while protecting the castle they didn't know the royal family had escaped. The sadness in the Lion's face is unbelievable; such a beautiful, moving sculpture.




Then it was off to see the Chapel Bridge, complete with some stunning scenery, and a Swiss knife and watch shop. The watches were beautiful; if only I had over $1000 AUS and I'd buy one! We caught the bus back to Kriens and walked to the Mt Pilatus shop as Justine wanted to buy herself a dragon. Tiffany and I stood outside the building trying to catch the faint pieces of snow falling down. It almost looked like rain, but I actually saw it snow a little. And I cannot believe it; the snowflakes actually look like snowflakes!

After a nap and thawing bath (not together of course) we ate dinner at the hotel then headed out to a bar near the centre of Lucerne. Prices were not the greatest, but I managed to get rid of the rest of my Swiss Frank. And now it's off to bed for a drive to Lyon tomorrow, and packing my carry on as that's all we're living out of for a night. This will be interesting.


2 comments:

  1. So you will have bruises from sledding instead of boogie boarding! haha! Dad says to make sure you get rest or your cold will get worse. If the cough gets worse you might need to go to a doctor as Rachel needed antibiotics as well as the puffer!! Enjoy!!!! Keep safe!!!
    First time i have checked my emails on the computer in the office at Venus Bay!!! Love Mum and Dad xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Eel and Jus! Looks like awesome fun, sliding down a hill of snow in Switzerland.

    And Elise, tell Justine to post something! :)

    ReplyDelete