Monday, December 27, 2010

Melbourne to Singapore

- Elise

It's somewhat amazing that this time last year we were worrying about paying off one tour, let alone embarking on a 59 day journal around half of Europe. For me, it still feels too surreal. We did the early start, the check in, the teary goodbye, and the painful flight. But sitting in this Singapore hotel room contemplating Justine and I sharing the first of many double beds, it doesn't feel quite real.

We were seen away by a party of 8 this morning (4 Mackie's, 3 Hughan's and a Daniel) as we trotted through the gate. I was prompty frisked while Juz stood and giggled, followed by an insane purchase of delicious duty-free alcohol.  Kudos goes to Singapore Airlines; your airplane meals actually taste like real meals. And yes mother, we both had a Singapore Sling. The man next to us befriended Justine and we struck up a conversation about Singapore and the best places to visit, which has turned out to be quite useful. But there is something about watching the clouds fly beneath you and the coast line fade as you leave your country for the first time, that conversation just cannot replace.


Touching down in Singapore was another thing. Changi is huge. Huge. And rather clean. I may have had a slight spasm upon arriving when I realised I was stepping foot in my first foreign country. A taxi brought us to the Joo Chiat Fragrance Hotel, which is rather nice despite the aforementioned bed sharing. A few flight hours, humid weather and sleeping in only t-shirts is just one way to push your friendship to the limit!

After scouring the map, we headed out into the sweaty weather to find the train station and go to the Night Safari. We'd even found a 7/11 and bought Taco flavoured Doritos (quite like Cheese Supreme) before I realised I'd taken us in the wrong direction. Poor Juz then had to wait another 20 minutes while I bought a singlet top and shorts, which the sales lady insisted I keep trying until I found a pair that fit over my comparitively gigantic Western thighs. I even wore Justine's shoes, an interesting proportion killer.


Then it was off to the train station, onto the MRT system (Myki, you need to learn how trains work) and onto the 138 bus to the Night Safari. Unfortunately by this stage it was getting late (try 10pm Australian time) and Justine was unwell, so after watching a fire display and lining up for 20 minutes, we caught a taxi home to sleep until tomorrow's adventure.

Singapore has been an interesting experience, though strangely underwhelming because I haven't quite realised I've left yet.
Hopefully London will be different.

5 comments:

  1. Well done...nice photos!!!! Enjoy the rest of the plane ride!!! Aren't the chairs comfy!!????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first step. Hope the flight to London goes well & of course you'll love it. It's full of lovely people like me! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello little Clone, how exciting you're on your way. Call me when you get to London, from any phone my number is 07849 055 144. You'll love London, a great place to visit. Take yourself for a drink or meal at the top of Harvey Nicholls at night, which overlooks the beautiful lights surrounding Harrods in Knightsbridge, you'll love it. Much love, big hugs can't wait to see you soon. ps - put my number with your passport and if anything goes wrong call me, and I'll be there in less than a chihuahua heart beat .xxxx Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I see you have landed in London. I walked past your room yesterday, Elise, and Spot was crying! I have put him with the other softies so he has someone to talk to. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mum, Nicky and Kerry. We're hoping to get sim cards tomorrow so when I do I'll let you know Kerry =)

    ReplyDelete