Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day Twenty: Prague to Berlin


I was not very well this morning, and fortunately for my pride, I was not the only one. We stumbled with our bags back to the bus and clambered on for sleep and less waking-time. It was a fairly long drive, though we stopped in the German city of Dresden for an hour and a half.

Dresden was made famous in WWII after being bombed by the allied forces towards the end of the conflict. As a result, there aren’t very many traditional buildings around the city. One thing that did survive is a mosaic of all the kings of Saxony – the region Dresden was once capital of – processing from the last 800 years. We ate lunch at the Hilton Café, where we were served so late we only had 10 minutes to scoff down our food. Then it was back onto the bus to Berlin.


When arriving in Berlin, Steve and Megs took us on a driving tour around the city. Most significantly we saw the East Side Gallery, the longest portion of the Berlin wall that has been left standing today. Unfortunately, having had such a large day and very little sleep it was quite difficult to stay awake in the other parts of the tour.

We arrived back at the hotel and rushed back out again to go to a Laundromat before dinner. Our clothes hadn’t had the chance to be washed properly since we were in Nice, so it was very reassuring to use proper machines and detergent. As it took so long, Justine stayed with Lee, Andy, Amy and Tiffany to finish her washing, while I headed to the provided dinner.

If I’d stayed with them, I would have had Italian later on and free Grappa shots for giving the wait staff such a ‘good’/normal tip! But I was happy because at 9 I saw the first Australian’s I knew not on the tour, Daniel and Dean. It was so good to see people I know from home and it made me feel a lot less homesick. Then again, that could have also been the hugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment