Monday, February 28, 2011

Singapore to Melbourne

We got back to the hotel and picked up our things before catching our last taxi to the airport once again. Once we got in we checked it with no dramas (thankfully) and walked through into the duty-free section where we headed up to where we remembered Burger King was.


After filling ourselves up on delicious junk and catching a glimpse of the Butterfly House inside the airport our gate was finally opened and we could head to catch our flight. Once again I had to take my shoes off as I went through, but this time did not have to unpack my bag. We filled out our custom forms for Australia as we waited, before eventually boarding.

After a very slight nap there was more airport food, more listening to music and more watching movies with turbulence until finally we saw the red Australian sunrise creep its way into the plane. We landed, picked up my duty-free alcohol from December and went to pick our bags up. After waiting for ages until they came around, Justine got stuck in customs while I walked straight out, heading in the wrong direction so I had to find my own welcome party, rather than the other way around.


There they all were, just as we'd left them. As Justine got out of customs we were home again, with our families (slightly fewer than who had seen us off) and ready for bed. Driving back home it felt surreal. It almost doesn't feel like we were even gone at all, but everything is so alien because I haven't seen it for so long.

And every so often the Eiffel Tower or Colosseum, relatives or theme parks will pop into my head and I'll remember. Yes, we did that. The HughMac Adventure is over.

For now.

3 comments:

  1. There's just one more thing about our holiday. Do you remember Lewis, Justine's friend from Vienna? Well, after she bought a very engagement-ish ring from Swarovski we decided that she needed an eligible bachelor to fool her parents with. Unfortunately, the whole idea sank. But funnily, some people still believe he existed.

    He didn’t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    LLEEEEWWIIIIISSSSSSSSS!!!!!

    T_________T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you'd grown an emotional attachment to him =P

    ReplyDelete