Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day Twenty-Three: Amsterdam


On our last full day of sightseeing on Contiki we rose early to be dropped off at Anne Franks House. This is the house where her diaries are set, and we wandered around the ‘The Secret Annexe” where it is absolutely unbelievable that eight people were able to live, let alone hide in, for two years. Walking around those rooms and impossible staircases you can really begin to understand what strong people and personalities so many Holocaust victims were.

Our next stop was the classic “I Am Amsterdam” sign. We couldn’t really leave the city without posing all over it, and that is just what we did! And while waiting for the other group to come back from the sex museum (after last night, we figured we could pass), Ash, Tiffany and I did some ice skating. Poor Tiffany had never ice skated before. Poor us as she was trying to pull us down with her!


Next up was lunch and my first ever visit to a Hard Rock Café. I really don’t think these restaurants are over-rated, they are just too cool! While Justine had a Californian Chicken Club Sandwich (yum yum yum yum yum she says!) I settled with the Legendary 10oz Burger. It was divine; my challenge for the day was to finish the entire thing. And I did, alongside a Hurricane cocktail as I got to keep the glass. All washed down with a Fudge Brownie Sundae shared with Andrew. Like I said; not over-rated!

While Justine, Lee and Amy headed off to the Heineken museum, Ash and I went off to buy Ash a new suitcase as hers had broken. Then it was back to the hotel to get ready for our final night as a Contiki group. First off was dinner on the side of a canal in a fishing village. Luckily, there was only salmon in the entrée or I may have gone hungry. The food was quite lovely, despite some of us still feeling too full from lunchtime! Even our mascot Monkey had some! 


Our next stop was a cruise along the canals of Amsterdam, where we had free drinks for an hour and a half. Our first drink consisted of us sticking a bottle cap to our foreheads before holding the bottle with our teeth and drinking it! We finished the night off with free drinks (for the girls!) at a bar, and then more free shots at a club. It was a great way to finish the tour, with both buses mingling together and everyone just having fun before we have to say goodbye tomorrow. 


5 comments:

  1. Yes it was about time you posted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I believe we went to a Hard Rock Cafe the first time we went to Queensland, so you were maybe 6. I remember almost nothing of it, except that we got crayons...

    Wtf, why did we get crayons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. because you might have wanted to be naughty and run around so the staff gave you things to colour...Becky cried and cried and cried if I remember rightly. maybe she wanted a crayon too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, if I don't remember it, it didn't happen =P

    ReplyDelete