Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ironbridge

This morning we drove past Boscobel house and the Oak tree where King Charles II hid after a reward was put on his capture. It’s not too far from Kerry’s house which meant that we didn’t go out of our way while on our way to Ironbridge. Ironbridge, as its name suggests, is where the world’s first iron bridge was built and still stands.

Our first stop was into Bears on the Square as Kerry wanted to show us all the different types of Steiff Bears on display and for sale. It’s amazing the different characters and figures we saw, but it’s also amazing how expensive one tiny teddy bear can be. We stopped off at a charity shop before heading over to look at the actual Iron Bridge. We bought sausage rolls in the bakery and also found Irn Bru! So we sipped our Scottish soft drink as we walked around the quirky museum gift shop before making our way to Bridgnorth for a quick photo stop.

Next up we went to visit Joan, who is my Great Great Aunty. The sister of my Great Grandmother, who passed away nearly four years ago, Aunty Joan reminds Kerry of what Gran-nan used to be like. I could see the similarities too, but being younger when Gran-nan was that age, I feel I missed out on a large part of the comparison. It was fantastic to finally meet her, and when we left Aunty Joan gave me chocolates and some much needed socks.


We then met Nick, who is a cousin of some sort but related through my Great Grandmother Rachel. I’m not sure I can really organize the connection, but we had dinner with him, his daughters and the boyfriend of the eldest, at The Crooked House. As the whole pub slants, there’s a trick where you can roll a marble down the inside ledge and it looks like it’s rolling upwards. I was very intrigued.

Eventually it was time to say goodbye so we headed back into Codsall Wood. As we stopped for petrol, Kerry decided it was time I have a turn driving the car. So I drove in the back streets to her house, in another country. I was just glad I haven’t forgotten how to drive considering how long it’s been!


2 comments: